Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Catt - Moonhwa High School

Dan got the wifi working in my apartment this weekend.  So now I can upload pictures from my phone to here!  I just wanted to share a few pictures of my school with you.  


This is the view of my classroom from the front, me looking onto the students.

This is the view of my classroom from the back.  That's my desk in the front left corner.  I have a smart board!  It's pretty awesome.

Here is the entrance to my classroom.
This is the front of my school.  

Moonhwa high school is fairly big, it is home to about 900 students.  I teach 600 of them, the grade 1 and 2 students.  Class sizes range from 28-32 students, not too bad for Korea.  Each grade is made up of about 300 students.  In Korea, there are only 3 grades of high school, the equivalent of grades 10, 11 and 12 in the United States.  I teach 18 classes a week plus 2 "Teacher's English Conversation" classes and the occasional English Club activity.  The "Teacher's English Conversation" class is just that, some teacher's decided to further their English skills and I help them out.  Only 4 teacher's total take those classes, 3 in my Monday class and 1 in my Wednesday class.

As some of you may have read before, my school is an all boys high school that is Christian oriented.  The only Christian things I've really noticed though are at the teacher's meetings in the mornings.  They always start off singing a hymn, then do a short passage reading and end with a prayer.  Of course it's all done in Korean so I don't understand a word of it.  I just kind of sit there politely bowing my head at the appropriate times.  There is also a small chapel located to the right of my classroom where I think the students have religion class or something.  

I wish I had a picture of our typical lunch to share, I'll work on getting one.  Lunch though ALWAYS includes rice and soup.  Soup.  No matter how hot it is.  There is almost always kimchi as well.  Would you believe I still haven't tried kimchi yet?!  I don't know how I've gotten away with it...  Anyways, there is usually some kind of marinated meet served, some veggies, something I can't identify and usually some kind of desert, be it yogurt or croissant's.  It's actually a very good lunch.  Unlike most people, I always load up on rice and soup just in case I don't like what else is served, I know I always will enjoy the rice and soup.  

So that's about it about my school.  Eventually, when I finally get all my furniture, I'd love to share my apartment and neighborhood with you.  Post any comments or questions below, I love getting those!  :-)

Talk to you later!  




5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are enjoying teaching and adjusting well to Korean life. It is exciting to hear about all of your experiences! That's neat that you are teaching teachers also. Good luck dealing with the high school boys. We are thinking about you often! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its strange teaching other adults. They look to me for this wealth of knowledge and I'm like half their age. Plus, they have so many questions about English and often they ask "Why?" And I honestly don't know! I just know how to speak English, not why the rules exist, lol!
    I hope you are doing well too!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder who is learning more? you? them? or all of you:)??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your school looks beautiful! Is it fairly new? It certainly looks like it's worthy of some great learning to happen! I am very glad for you! Take care, Pat H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan and Catt! I love reading about your adventure. The school looks awesome and seems like you ate getting more comfortable. Gracie says hi! Love u!

    ReplyDelete