Thursday, August 29, 2013

Catt - Whoa


Day 1 - 

Culture shock is a funny idea.  Don’t get me wrong, its very real.  But for me, I think it should be renamed to “culture paralysis”.  I can’t seem to move without freaking out and freezing up.

So today I came to Gyeongju, my home for the next year.  I met my lovely co-teacher (sort of, don’t worry, I’ll explain that later) and her younger brother.  They drove me from Gumi, where the bus dropped me off, to my apartment.  Thank God the building has an elevator because I had 3 heavy bags and am living on the 4th floor, the highest in the building. 

We talked the whole way here about this and that.  I enjoyed seeing some more of the countryside and all of the mountains.  I can’t seem to get over how beautiful the mountains are here. 

My apartment is a studio.  I have a sliding door separating the kitchen though which it nice.  I am also living in a brand, spankin’ new building.  Its actually still under construction.  The landlord said it should be completed within 2 weeks though.  I have a small TV and stand, a cabinet with drawers for clothing and a washer.  The washer is located in a small room off the main room, I have no dryer.  The hanging rack is located on the ceiling, I pull a cord to lower it and such.  The bathroom is the smallest I have even been in.  There is a western style toilet, THANK GOD, and a sink.  The shower is literally the bathroom.  No tub, no curtain, no nothing.  The showerhead is one that I can pick up and use, but it is located to the left of the sink by the toilet.  So yeah, haven’t tried that out yet but it should be interesting.

The kitchen is also VERY tiny.  I have no counter space at all.  I wish I was kidding.  The sink is huge, then to the right of it is a dish draining area and to the right of that is the stove.  I have a stove, no oven.  The fridge and all the appliances are brand new, I’m still pulling tape and plastic off of them. 

Notice one thing I didn’t mention yet?  Here’s a hint – a bed.

Ok, bad hint, that kind of gave it away.  I HAVE NO BED.  WTF?!  My co-teacher, who isn’t actually my co-teacher, said I might get one in a month.  For now, I am sleeping on blankets on the floor in the corner of the room.  The blankets are ones the teacher before me left, don’t worry, they’ve been washed. 

So now to the co-teacher situation.  I basically don’t really have one.  The woman who picked me up today described her job as her being my “manager” of sorts.  She will help me in and out of school when I need it, but will not be teaching with me ever.  I am teaching high school grades 1 and 2 (freshmen and sophomore) and she teaches grade 3.

Oh, and my high school?  It’s an all boys school.  That is Christian oriented.  I mean come on people. 

I’m sorry if I seem to be ranting and pissed off, but that’s because I am.  It’s easier to be angry than sad, which I what I’m really feeling right now.  I’m alone and in a new frigging country halfway around the world.  I’m scared out of my tiny, little mind right now.

There are some great things that happened today, like her taking me to the grocery store and out to dinner.  The fact that the former teacher left a few things behind for me too is amazing.  Overall, I am very lucky.

That’s all for now.  I need to take my clothes out of the wash to dry and get my ass to bed.  I actually start school tomorrow, yay me!  (Not.)  The kids won’t be there but it will be time for me to meet the other teachers and lesson plan.  Gotta be up and outta here by 7:40.  I miss you all dearly and promise to try and be in a better mood next time.  I love you.

Talk to you later! 



Day 2 (August 28th) –

Today went slightly better than yesterday.  I’m starting to feel more settled and acclimated.  I went to school today with my manager, Sunny.  She picked me up today but I have to take a bus tomorrow.  That should be interesting. 

I feel like such a baby.  I know nothing and need someone to hold my hand on just about everything.  I cannot communicate except with a few English teachers at my school and just about everything makes me cry, or at least want to.

Today I spent all day lesson planning at the school.  I don’t actually start teaching until next week which is nice.  I stayed in my classroom by myself mostly.  Sunny thought I would be most comfortable there.  It is a huge classroom.  Much bigger than a US high school classroom I think.  I have my own computer and printer.  The computer is of course all in Korean though, so using Microsoft Office on it has been interesting and the internet always sends me to the Korean version of websites.  So I have to put “in English” into all my searches. 

The school, as I said before, is all boys and Christian.  They pray a lot.  I just kind of sit there being polite and saying amen when everyone else does.  I met some students today, they all seemed genuinely interested in meeting me which was cool.  Their English is better than I expected.  One boy even said to me “you are so pretty”, haha.  Of course, at this point I feel like I need introductions all over again.  SO MANY NAMES AND FACES!!!  The teachers are all very nice too.  My manager said that they all liked me by my first impression which is great.   

So yeah, today was just basically a whirl wind of faces, names, trying not to offend anyone with my Western manners (there is a right and wrong way to shake hands here among other things) and lesson planning.  I am in slightly better spirits tonight.  I can’t wait to have internet though, its driving me nuts not having it.  I am unpacked enough to find clothes for school and this weekend but have no clue where to put most of it.  The “closet” is very small.  I am still living out of suitcases for now. 

Well I want to shower and get my butt to bed.  This whole experience has left me exhausted.  I love you all!

Talk to you later!


1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I literally laughed out loud when I read your post. What you've been through is the perfect fodder for stand up comedy - the expectations SO drastically different. Here you are imagining cute Korean kids and now will have a year of adolescent testosterone (with a side dish of religion) staring you down, so to speak. No bed - the differences in culture and what you're used to. I can so sympathize with your plight as well. I'm glad you have Dan there and a place for a break on the weekends. You are brave and you will have wonderful stories to reflect on. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm very much looking forward to hearing more. What an incredible adventure! And the blog material will never be boring!

    ReplyDelete