Friday, August 9, 2013

Dan - My Top Ten Things I Want to Experience in Korea

One week left! At this point all the paperwork is filed, the red tape is cut through, bags are packed and we are counting down the hours until the plane leaves (Saturday, 8/17 at noon CST if you're curious). What now? Start a bucket list of things to do in Korea, of course! Here is what I want to accomplish and/or experience while I'm there for the year. Some of this information may be incorrect, I'm going off random tidbits I've heard online so please correct me if something's off!

1: Internet Speeds


Yeah, I am a total nerd. South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world and has an incredible internet speed in comparison to the rest of the world. Couple that with the fact that there is at least 3G service ANYWHERE and this could be very dangerous to my wired-in lifestyle. Standing on top of a mountain? No problem. Fifty feet underground on the subway? We got service. Now let's just see if my hard drive space can keep up with everything I'll be downloading.

2: Seoul


Seoul, South Korea. A megacity with a population of over ten million. Fourth largest economic powerhouse city in the world. It's probably the closest to a cyberpunk city we have today, with a plethora of neon signs that dance across the night sky. Apparently things to do in Seoul could constitute a top ten list on its own, so we will leave it at that.

3: DMZ


The border between North and South Korea is practically regarded a tourist destination in today's times. There are groups that take you through various parts of history encompassed by the Korean War: The room where the cease-fire was signed, the tunnels underneath the two countries and much more. Not only will it will likely be my only chance to see North Korean land and citizens with my own eyes, but I can actually set foot in the room and technically be on North Korean soil.

I probably won't be doing what this guy did though.

4: Beaches in Busan


Busan is one of the bigger cities in Korea and will be a short train ride from my home city of Daegu (1-1.5 hours). Busan is a shipping city known primarly for it's ports and seaside tourism. The beaches are beautiful and are the best place to swim in the country.

On a side note, apparently Koreans are very skiddish about showing too much skin on the beach. Boys rarely go shirtless and girls typically have something over their bikini. Thought this was a funny anecdote.

5: Martial Arts



I've only got four years experience of martial arts, but I'm excited to continue overseas. The two big ones are Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido, of which I'm sure there will be plenty of schools (Dojangs) in Daegu. My prior sensei in the US has been so generous as to reach out to a few of his contacts in this part of the world. From what I understand most Korean teachers enjoy the challenge of teaching a foreigner and consider it a great honor, as it is a rarity. Let's just hope the more traditional schools don't kick my butt too much.

6: Hiking around Daegu


My soon-to-be home city of Daegu is located in the basin of several mountains; each complete with a plethora of trails that run throughout the wilderness. It'll remind me of my boy scout days all over again.

7: Ordering Delivery


Korea delivers. 3am and you're craving pizza? There will be a delivery boy ringing your buzzer in a half hour. What about if you're craving McNuggets? McDonalds will put a employee on a back and it'll be over in ten. What if you're not at home? What if you're in your classroom? The beach? No problem, Korean capitalism will take care of it for you.

8: Seoraksan National Park


Korea's largest national park must be a sight to behold. Home to over 1500 different species of animal and 60 square miles of forest. Seems like a fun place to spend the day hiking around!

9: Everland Theme Park


Korea's biggest amusement park is almost a celebration of global relations; taking inspiration from countries and cultures all over the world. There's a section called "America Adventure" where I can relive my American experiences in the Wild West and Rock N Roll. Yee-hah!

10: Teaching!

I am so excited to get back into teaching after two years. It really has been too long and the fact that I will doing it with a whole other culture means worlds to me. The challenge will be wonderful and the memories will be incredible.

I already found some ideas!


Honorable Mention.

The Toilet Theme Park, though I hear it's kinda crappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment